Invisalign is a relatively new treatment that is reducing the need for dentists to use conventional braces. It is a treatment that uses removable plastic aligners to create the tooth movement in a patient's mouth. Computer technology dictates which teeth will be forced to move at a given time and determines how the aligners are formed.
Forcing teeth to move with removable aligners is not a new technology, but the computer advancements are making Invisalign a more attractive option.
Invisalign is recommended for patients with orthodontic situations that require mild to moderate correction of spacing or crowding. The aligners are almost undetectable to the eye, easy to use and comfortable to wear.
Who can benefit from Invisalign Treatments?
Clear Aligner treatments were basically designed with the needs and requirements of young adults in mind. Invisalign is ideal for mild to moderate cases of dental mal-alignment and therefore can be used at any age, on permanent teeth. This being said, the treatment has gained immense popularity primarily owing to its aesthetic value.
Conventional orthodontic treatments do, in a way, compromise the appearance of the smile. This is because they require bonding of appliances such as bands, brackets and wires directly on to the front surfaces of the teeth, where they are visible throughout the course of treatment.
Majority of the young adults today seek treatments that can promise a straighter, more aligned smile but in the most discreet manner possible. This is where Invisalign and clear aligners come in. Through advancements in dental technology and the field of orthodontics, it is now possible for improperly positioned teeth to be forced into alignment without the use of metal components – thus eliminating the need to rely on conventional braces.
Patients who wish to correct mild to moderate dental alignment issues for a smile makeover can now conveniently opt for aligner treatments which guarantee remarkable results, in a shorter duration of time as compared to braces.
It is important to remember that Invisalign treatments are only meant for correcting dental crowding and spacing issues that are not considered severe. For issues related to correction of the bite, jaw rotations and severe arch crowding, conventional orthodontic treatments and appliances work best to give permanent solutions that not only restore complete dental functionality, but also improve aesthetics.
However, for moderate cases, there are a number of advantages associated with opting for Invisalign over metal braces – some of the most prominent of which include:
- Aesthetic Value: The aligners used for repositioning the teeth are 100% transparent and clear. They can be worn throughout the day, only to be taken off when you’re eating or cleaning your teeth. The clear plastic makes them virtually invisible, and therefore they do not become obvious when you smile or speak.
- Ease of Usage: Aligners are very easy to use. The system comprises of two clear trays that must be worn over the teeth of the upper and lower jaws. They can be removed just as easily as well.
- Faster Results: You will not be using the same set of aligners throughout the course of treatment. All patients receive new trays every two weeks or so, in order to accommodate new movements, and to continue pushing mal-aligned teeth towards the desired locations in the mouth. For ideal results, it is imperative that you wear your aligners for at least 20-22 hours per day, removing them only when you wish to consume meals, or when you need to clean your teeth and aligners.
- Easy Maintenance: Aligners are fabricated using sturdy materials which makes them very easy to clean and maintain. You do not need to purchase or use special kinds of toothbrushes, toothpastes or cleaning liquids. Simply rinse the trays thoroughly, use your own toothbrush to clean over them – and replace them back into your mouth.
- 3D Mapping of Progress: Aligner treatments use the very best in dental technology. With every appointment, you will be able to see 3D imaging of the progress you’ve made over the weeks – and how different your dentition looks compared to when the treatment was initiated.
- Uncompromised Appearance of the Smile: Aligner treatments do not require bonding of any colored appliances, or the use of wires. This means that the treatment does not compromise the aesthetics of your smile – and continues to make it better discreetly.
- Better Patient Compliance: Aligner treatments have shown better patient compliance because they do not require extra effort, dedication or commitment the way conventional braces do. Orthodontic braces can cause a certain degree of discomfort through their appliances, need a longer period of time getting used to, may require dietary modifications to prevent damage to the brackets, and have to be cleaned using special toothbrushes.
- Biocompatibility: The Aligners are fabricated using 100% biocompatible, non-toxic and non-irritant materials that do not damage the soft tissues, and offer comfort and convenience in terms of usage.
Aligner treatments are based on a very simple principle, and are therefore relatively easy to understand. Developers worked on creating a system that would not rely on bonding of metal appliances to push and pull mal-aligned teeth towards desired positions for a straighter-looking smile. Another requirement of this system was that it had to be aesthetically appealing, so adults belonging to all age-groups could comfortably wear them without feeling conscious.
Invisalign is basically a set of two trays made using transparent plastic. They are fabricated based on the patient’s 3D oral imaging. The trays fit snugly over the teeth of the maxilla (upper jaw), and the mandible (lower jaw). They then exert pressure on to the teeth that are out of alignment, to force them into new positions that will result in a more attractive smile.
The trays must be worn at least 20-22 hours per day for the treatment to yield results in a timely manner. Every two weeks or so, patients receive new tray to replace the previous set with. This is done to accommodate new dental movements that may have taken place over the last two weeks, and to continue exerting pressure onto the teeth till the treatment has been completed.
3D imaging allows for patients to map the progress of the treatment throughout its duration, and to be able to see what their smile will look like towards completion. The trays themselves are 100% biocompatible and safe to use – their contours allow for easy wear and removal without the risk of injuring soft tissues.
Clear Aligner Treatments at Strategic Dental Care:
At Strategic Dental Care, we take immense pride in being a leading one-stop solution for all family dentistry needs. Our state-of-the-art office is equipped with the very latest in dental technology, as well as the more reliable materials and equipment available today. We strive to help our patients reimagine dentistry and explore it under a new light.
All of our treatments are aimed at minimizing chair-time, offering long term solutions, eliminating pain and discomfort, improving overall quality of procedures and condition prognosis, and most importantly – helping you discover newfound confidence through a healthy, stunning smile.
We offer Invisalign treatments to all our patients looking for a short duration and discreet dental alignment correcting solution. The procedure has given countless young men and women a complete smile makeover without going through conventional orthodontic practices. It is easier, more convenient, faster – and yields outstanding results every time.
When you step into our office for consultation, we’ll help you understand the treatment that is most suitable for you based on the severity and nature of your dental alignment. Our experts can explain the pros and cons of all alignments correcting procedures comprehensively so you can make an informed decision. We’re more than happy to address any question, concern or query you may have regarding clear aligners.
Are you ready to embark upon a journey that will help you discover a straighter, stunning, Hollywood A-lister smile without the nasty metallic bits? Give us a call and book an appointment with the leading team of orthodontics and cosmetic surgeons, only at Strategic Dental Care. Dial 407-284-1645 now!